For the full table of contents and a PDF of the booklet, which includes photos, see the Parish History 1888–1968.
For many years St. Andrew’s had neither rectory nor parish hall.
It is not known where lived the first rector or the three priests who had the interim charge between the resignation of Mr. Pughe and the appointment of Canon Jones.
But when Canon Jones came to the parish he lived in his own home in River-view Terrace where his eldest daughter Mrs. C. W. Bancroft came to live for a few years before her death in 1961.
When Mr. Ashburner was appointed Rector in 1918 it was necessary to provide a residence for him and his family so the present rectory was built, where it still remains, at the corner of Lambert Road and Central Avenue.
During Canon Jones long reign as Rector, the parish hall was built in River-view Terrace in 1912. The reason for building it so far from the church was the feeling that the district of Indooroopilly would spread westwards and therefore the permanent church would be better placed on the western side of the railway line. Accordingly, land was purchased and the Hall built with the hope of later securing the corner block (where Woolworths store is today) on which to build the church. Various matters, chiefly finance, hindered this work and then the Mission church off the Moggill Road came to life and served that portion of the parish; so the idea of the parish hall becoming the centre of the parish was abandoned.
Another reason was the fact that the church, rectory and hall were situated in different parts of the parish and it was felt desirable to have them if possible, on the same property. However, this is still almost impossible so ultimately the hall was sold, the money received was invested and within recent years used for the commencement of the new brick church.
As the Sunday School had used the hall for so many years and there was no other building available the new owners of the old parish hall allowed us to continue to hold the Sunday School therein until other arrangements could be made. Then when in 1948, Mr. St. George offered us one of the army huts from Enoggera, it was purchased by Messrs. Percy and Eric Brier and given to the church in memory of Mrs. Eva Brier who died in 1943.
This building was placed alongside of the fence dividing the church property from that of Mr. D. M. T. Forster. It was renovated and furnished by the parochial council, and later a room was built under the northern end and used for a kindergarten school.
Pending the completion of the new brick church the hut was removed and re-erected in a similar position in 1963 on some land purchased by the parochial council from Mr. Forster shortly before he died in 1961. Soon afterwards the old wooden church was also removed and re-erected in front of the hut which had been raised to enable the church and hut to be connected so that later, both buildings could be used as a hall and for a Sunday School.
Thus an attempt was made to centralize the church buildings and prepare the way for the completion of the permanent church.
For the full table of contents and a PDF of the booklet, which includes photos, see the Parish History 1888–1968. Alternatively, go to Chapter 6.