For the full table of contents and a PDF of the booklet, which includes photos, see the Parish History 1888–1968.
Church Furnishings, Memorials and Gifts
The Church was first furnished with chairs instead of pews. In 1894, pews were purchased and the chairs sold in lots of 3 or 4. Some are to be found as treasured possessions in the home of Miss Leila Carr, niece of Miss A. Carr, one of the foundation members of the Church.
There were many beautiful memorials to former parishioners in the furnishings and appointments. The first one that met the eye on entering the church was the stained glass window above the Altar. It consists of three lights and is a really beautiful example of stained glass and a fitting memorial to Mr. Graham Lloyd Hart who gave the land whereon the church was built. He was also one of the first church wardens of St. Andrew’s and the Chancellor of the Diocese.
(This window [see PDF] was designed and the work carried out by the firm of Kemp in England in 1899).
The altar of carved silky oak is a memorial to the men of the Parish who died at Gallipoli in 1915. The Reredos is in memory of Mr. Edward Day Bird, (a former warden of the church), and his wife, Katherine Lucy Bird; the carving on the Reredos was executed by Mr. L. J. Harvey of Brisbane.
The Altar Cross is engraved with the emblems of the four Evangelists, the altar vases are in memory of Mrs. G. L. Hart and Mrs. Hughes. The altar rails were erected in memory of Francis J. K. Robertson, who was killed in action at Rafa on the 9th of January, 1917.
The Sacred Vessels are in memory of Lieutenant A. C. Cox, who was accidentally killed on the 29th January, 1925.
A beautiful Communion set of Chalice and Paten was presented by the late Sir Alan Munro and Lady Munro (then Mr. & Mrs. Alan Munro) in memory of their son Donald, who was killed during the 2nd World War.
A silver bread box is in memory of Mr. Edward Day Bird and a missal stand given by the Girls’ Friendly Society in November, 1940, is in memory of Misses Eva and Nellie Jones, daughters of Canon Jones — one-time Rector of the Parish.
The brass candlesticks for the altar were given by Mrs. R. J. Thompson.
The sanctuary chair was presented by the family of Canon Jones in memory of him, and The Alms Dish is in memory of a former warden of the Parish — Mr. Herbert Manners.
The carved silky oak choir stalls were given by her friends in memory of Mrs. E. W. Hadgraft, who was for many years organist and then a chorister of St. Andrew’s.
Additional choir stalls and a clergy chair are in memory of Mrs. Gilson Foxton.
The prayer desk is in memory of Mr. Henry Edward Wetherell and the Rector’s stall, a memorial to Mr. Charles Kemp, both former members of the Parochial Council.
The pulpit and the litany desk are thank offerings for mercies vouchsafed to us in the Great War of 1914-1918, and a pulpit light is in memory of Mrs. Haymen.
The lectern is a parishioners’ memorial to Canon Jones and the Bible a memorial to Mr. Tom Payne, who was for many years a lay reader and superintendent of the Sunday School.
The litany book is inscribed “In memoriam W. Archdall.”
In the vestry was a cupboard for vestments in memory of Mrs. Ann Reynolds, a friend and worker of St. Andrew’s for many years. Also in the church were three banners, one each for the church, the Sunday School (which was a prize won in the Bishop Webber examinations) and the G. F. S.
Since 1939 two other memorials were given:
- The church hut presented by Messrs. Percy and Eric Brier in memory of Mrs. Eva Brier, wife and mother.
- A processional cross given by Mr. E. J. Belford in memory of his parents who lived in Clifton.
With the exception of four of these memorials all are now in the chapel of the new church. The Reredos is at the other end opposite the altar, above which is now a beautiful mural. The old pulpit has been dismantled and made into a rack for the display of books recommended for reading, and placed at the main entrance to the church. The old pulpit light is in use in the new pulpit. The choir stalls are in the baptistry and Mrs. Reynold’s cupboard is used for vestments in St. Peter’s.
In May, 1968, a plaque was placed on the tower by the Parish Council in memory of S/Sgt. Peter James Gallagher, who was killed in action in Vietnam on the 5th of May, 1968. He was the popular subcontractor for the brick work for the completion of the new church.