For the full table of contents and a PDF of the booklet, which includes photos, see the Parish History 1888–1968.
Indooroopilly Church of England
Opening of the new Church, August 25, 1889
“The new building which has been erected for the Indooroopilly Church of England Sunday School, and for the temporary Services of the Church on a site presented by G. L. Hart esq. was formally opened yesterday by Bishop Webber, who preached at both morning and evening services and delivered an address in the afternoon to the Sunday School children.
The church was tastefully decorated in evergreens and flowers, the altar, pulpit and porch being worthy of special attention. At the sides of the altar were a number of ferns and other plants interspersed with snow white flowers. A beautiful cross, made of white roses was on the altar. Under the porch was a large and handsome bell composed entirely of flowers and leaves. The pulpit decorations were by the Misses Hart and Taylor, the altar by Miss Mona Caiman and the floral bell by Miss Pohley.
On the altar cloth was a beautiful spray of white passion flowers worked by Mrs. Mitchell, while in the centre of the cloth was a cross worked by Mrs. Pughe. The Church was crowded at both Services especially the evening one. Mrs. William Robertson presided at the organ and collections were made in aid of the Church funds. During the day the Bishop was the guest of G. L. Hart, Esq.,
At the morning service the prayers and lessons were read by the Reverend T. St. John Pughe, curate of the Parish, and at the evening service the prayers were read by the Reverend E. L. Salisbury of St. Thomas’ Toowong and the Reverend T. St. John Pughe, while the lessons were read by the Reverend A. Richards, secretary of the Diocesan Council.
The text for the morning’s discourse was taken from 1st Corinthians VI verse 20 . . . and in the evening the Bishop preached an impressive sermon on the full meaning of the word “Worship.”
Holy Communion was celebrated at 8 a.m.
The building, which cost £320, is about 45 feet long (13.7 metres) and 25 feet (7.6 metres) wide. It is lined on the inside of the studs with narrow boards, and the roof is covered with iron. The walls are 12 feet 9 inches (3.9 metres) in height. Inside, it is bright and attractive in appearance, and outside it looks well built and substantial. The roof projecting some distance from the walls adds considerably to the effectiveness of the design. The internal fittings are good and apparently well suited to the purpose to which they are to be applied. The building, … is to be used only temporarily as a Church and when the permanent structure of brick is erected, will be used as a schoolroom.
Both the temporary and permanent buildings have been designed by Mr. Buckeridge.
The cost of the proposed brick church is estimated at £1,400.
The temporary arrangements include a church furnished with communion table and rails, pulpit and reading desk, vestry with external entrances and a lamp room. A curtain shuts off the Chancel from the remainder of the building, when the latter may be required for secular purposes.
The Contractor for the building was Mr, P. Christensen, of Toowong.”
So ends the very complete description of the old Parish Church. The main part of the building has remained unaltered, but in 1900, during the incumbency of Canon Jones, the present sanctuary was added, the builder being Mr. J. L. Pratt of Indooroopilly, while Mr. W. H. Mobsby, a member of the Parochial Council, helped with the designing. At the same time the beautiful stained glass window was given as a memorial to Mr. G. L. Hart — one of the first church wardens.
During the incumbency of the Reverend Thomas Ashburner portion of the south eastern corner of the building was partitioned off for a choir vestry but this was removed when the choir vestry was added beside the sanctuary in November, 1930, the architect being Mr. S. C. Rookwood, and the builder Mr. J. E. McGregor.
Suspended from the limb of a gum tree in the grounds was a bell given to mark the birth of a daughter to the Reverend T. St. John Pughe, the first Rector of the Parish. She was baptized on the 22nd of August, 1890 as Margaret Dorothy, and the bell is still known as “Betty Pughe”. Also, during the two years of the Reverend T. St. John Pughe’s incumbency the Church grounds were laid out and looked after by a “Church Care Society.”
St. Andrew’s was first known as St Thomas’. The Diocesan year books 1891-1892 and the Church Chronicle of June, 1891, refer to our church as St. Thomas’, Indooroopilly.
On the 9th of January, 1890, the Parish of Toowong was divided and the boundaries of the Indooroopilly Parish fixed.
This Parish, which is the largest parish, geographically, in the metropolitan area covers 44 square miles and includes Brookfield and Upper Brookfield, Gold Creek, Pullen Vale, Moggill, Fig Tree Pocket, Indooroopilly, from the State School eastward to Long Pocket and until 1946, Chelmer across the river.